Sunday, December 27, 2009

I'm not overweight, I'm undertall

Well, this is my first attempt at a blog. I'm hoping my blog will motivate me in my goals to live a healthy lifestyle by making me realize what my triggers for eating are.
I am a senior at Metro State and hope to graduate Dec 2010. Once I get my degree and head out to the real world, I hope to be a juvenile probation officer. Because my minor is in Human Services (addiction studies), I plan to work with those kids who also deal with an addiction. Recently, I have asked myself 'how do you plan on helping those with addictions when you have an addiction yourself.. to food'. This was the moment I decided that was it. Food would no longer run my life.
I grew up in a small, cold town in Alaska. Although I am not there now, Fairbanks will always be considered my home. My dad and mom moved me and my siblings to Fairbanks when I was 9. I decided to give the big city a chance while I finished my degree. It's been incredibly hard to leave my mom, brother, sister and newly born niece. I find myself turning to food when the aches of homesickness set in.
I can remember the times when food didn't really matter to me. It seems like things changed after my dad passed away from lung cancer. It was my senior year of high school and the thought of graduation, college, and no longer having a father seemed impossible to overcome. I turned to food constantly. I became less active. And started packing on the pounds! Since then, I still pretty much revolve my life around food, and am still not very active but I think something has finally clicked! I've realized I need to be in charge of my own life and live it to the fullest!!

No comments:

Post a Comment